Friday, October 26, 2012

The unobvious plan of God



I was walking down the hallway talking to a classmate, and the topic turned to plans. "Just tell God your plans, and it seems like God has another plan in mind." We both laughed and parted. But the thought remained.

It does seem that when we tell God our plans, somehow God comes up with a different one. As I thought about that, I thought of scripture.

In scripture, we find that there was a very straightforward interpretation by the leaders and faithful as to who and what the messiah should be like. That image was so strong that Jesus could never match it. And so many did not believe in him.

I think when I want things to always match up, I run the risk of missing the true experience God wants me to have. I do not pretend to know what that experience is, but I think God is asking us to go deeper. Do not be content with the seemingly obvious. Try to see beneath the surface. Try to find the unobvious.

When I chart my own life, I can see a pattern only if I go deeper. I suspect the same is true for many lives. I was not meant to be a monastic, but having spent so many years in the monastery in silence and prayer has prepared me well for the counseling profession I have recently choosen. Having made decisions that turned out not to be the best for me has helped me become a seeker. Having not had a straightforward life has helped me look at the little messages hidden in the crooked.

Perhaps that is what mystery is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...