Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Do I want to see?

By Sr. Mary Grace Thul, OP


That I may see. It was a simple request, and Mark's gospel chapter ten tells us it was the only request made by Bartimaeus.

It makes me look at my requests. I have prayed to "see", but am I ready for what may be revealed?

Imagine what Bartimaeus saw...a whole  new world. And his new sight did not just bring him joy, it prompted him to give back. For the gospel tells us that when he gained his sight, he then followed Jesus. He accepted what he saw.

That could not be said about Jesus dicsiples who had physical sight. They were always tyring to get Jesus to match their concept of what the messiah should be: restore Jerusalem to its pristine power and glory; sit them one on his right and one on his left; let them have power over demons; call down God's wrath on those who did not accept their message.

Even at the last supper, in John 14: 5 when Jesus invited them to follow him, they said, "We do not know where you are going, how can we know the way?" And Jesus responded, "Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me?" (Jn 14: 9)

I wonder which disciple I am like: Bartimaeus, willing to see for real and follow, or the disciples, following but not seeing, because I want Jesus to match what I think he should be like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...