Monday, October 15, 2012

Finding strength in psalm 18



I cannot think of a psalm that speaks more to the heart than psalm 18: I love you, Lord, my strength, my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my shield, my saving horn, my stronghold!

I find I need a gentle (and sometimes constant) reminder that I am not alone on this journey, despite how it may appear. God is there for me, even when I cannot sense a Presence. When I am fearful or anxious, it helps to repeat this psalm, for it reminds me that God is more than a Divine Being out there somewhere. God is close to me as my rock and fortress.

I find the images that psalm 18 gives helps me to re-design my own image of Divine Love: rock, fortress, shield and saving horn. God is not just a creator, God is a protector as well. And I know I need a God who can deliver.

Psalm 18 goes on to say in verse 18-20: God rescued me from my mighty enemy, from my foes too powerful for me. They attacked me on a day of distress, but the Lord came to my support. God set me free in the open; God rescued me because God loves me.

I cannot think of a psalm that offers me more hope and confidence in God's saving love.

And so I repeat often, while driving, while working, while walking, I love you Lord, my strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...