Saturday, April 14, 2012

Opening up the door to memory: An Easter Chant



Somehow, different parts of life can hold so much meaning that it is hard to revisit that time. I suppose that is true for everyone. A smell, a song, a photo. That's all it takes to open the door that takes you back in time and place.

Recently, it happened to me, again. Working on a presentation that deals with my past monastic life, I popped in some tape recordings I had made years ago of the various chants we sang in the monastery. I wanted to use some of it for my presentation. As it played in the background, I worked on the script and the pictures. Then, one piece came on, and my world stopped.

It was Christus Resurgens. The epitome of the Easter celebration. The last chant of Easter day, sung after Vespers finishes.

It is impossible to explain why this particular chant means so much to me. Instead, I am providing a rendition of it I found on Youtube.

When you hear it, think of a simple monastery, with a procession of nuns in white making their way around the choir (the monastic "place" where the nuns pray...so called because the prayers are chanted).




Think of those nuns singing this chant with a joy that only comes after you have spent Lent in heavy penances, many restrictions, and constant fasts.

Think of the atmosphere of the monastery chapel, full of the glory of Easter, brilliance of flowers, candles, and light.



Think of Alleluia, and all it encompasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...