Thursday, April 19, 2012

Journeys



It turned out to be both a moving and humbling session. Presentations were on life and one's own journey. And the honesty and trust that came forth could not fail to touch even the most hardened heart.

I suppose that could be the reflection from yesterday's class. Most impressive, beyond the trust and honesty of the presenters, were the journeys themselves. No one had had a "perfect" life. Most had had hard times, times when life was dark and empty, when the road was blurred, when the individual felt lost. Most had stumbled along the way. Most had questioned not only worth, but purpose.

How many of us hold a false impression of life. Few of us follow a straight path. Most of us struggle through, questioning, reflecting, stumbling. Most of us have to overcome certain odds, defeat prejudices, look beyond the hurts of here and now. Most of us have to forgive and to forge ahead.

I found all of this very humbling because for too many years, I saw my past years as a monastic as years of failure. I could not continue what I had begun, what I had promised, what I had chosen. I could not fit in. Not just in the monastery, but even here in life. And now, I see that I am not alone.

We can overcome almost anything if we realize, we are not alone. That one realization has helped countless people step up to the plate of adversity and overcome the odds. Even in the spiritual life, even with a strong faith, I need to know I am not alone. Even though God is all for me, while I travel on this earthly road, while I am in mortal flesh, I need to know and to belong to others.

Perhaps that is why Jesus advocated charity so often and so powerfully. Perhaps that is why Jesus wanted us to reach out to others. Perhaps this is why Jesus told the story of the good Samaritan. No one should ever be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...