Thursday, April 5, 2012

Breaking the alabaster jar...



Holy Thursday, a day of remembering. A day of preparation. A day when the symbol broke, and reality flowed.

The week begins with the story of how Mary anoints Jesus with a liter of costly perfumed oil. Mark 14:3-5 gives us a graphic account: When he was in Bethany reclining at table in the house of Simon the leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of perfumed oil, costly genuine spikenard. She broke the alabaster jar and poured it on his head.

Is not this a mirror of life? I have within myself the very goodness God planted there. But somehow, it stays hidden, even from me. And I live out my life as though I were an alabaster jar, trying not to get hurt, not to be chipped, not to be broken. I think it is good to be hard, to be able to carry life within, and do not realize, sometimes life needs to break out.

Even more, sometimes I cherish the alabaster jar more than the precious ointment within. I want to keep the jar intact, even if it means I lost the treasure. Through this gospel I am invited to break that concept, to reject what I cherish, and let what is truly precious flow out.

For when I do this, I am acting like Mary, I am being bold with my love, my devotion, and my faith. I am taking it out of the alabaster jar and pouring it out, not caring what others might say.

Holy Thursday is a good day to think on these things.

2 comments:

  1. This is wisdom for the hardened heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I think in some sense, we all have a part of our heart that tends to be hard...and we have to remind ourselves that it isn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...