Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The disciples on the road to Emmaus



The disciples on the road to Emmaus. It is one of my favorite stories of the resurrection. It depicts not just disciples who had believed and been disappointed, but it depicts each one of us as well. What happens on this journey happens to me. I believe. I hope. And at times, I am disappointed, by God.

When I give my life over to God, when I live in a conscious attitude of Presence, I expect God to reciprocate. I expect God to watch over me. When I suffer darkness and confusion, when bad things happen and I am not spared, when life hurts, my first instinct is to turn to God and ask, "Why?"

The disciples on the road to Emmaus were asking the same question. And I think the message of this story is, be careful of your sadness, for it will keep you from having vision. Jesus walks right up to the disciples, who were at that very moment speaking of him. And yet, they do not recognize. He walks with them, yet they do not recognize. He opens the scripture to them; he makes their hearts burn, and still, they do not recognize. They are looking in with sadness, they are concentrating on their disappointment, they have lost vision.

When I am disappointed, I should remember that sadness steals my vision. It makes life dark, and prospects dim. It keeps me involved with my pain, and not with gift. It makes me forget that sadness too needs resurrection.

Sadness made the disciples forget what Jesus looked like. If I succumb to sadness, I too will forget. I too will become weary with the journey, and not recognize Presence and gift when it comes.

2 comments:

  1. What wisdom you share! Years of sadness, and loss of vision. I've never put the two together, but you are right. Thanks for sharing your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elizabeth. I appreciate your sharing as well.

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...