Monday, August 13, 2012

Feeling the pain



The thought given during yesterday's service sparked my own musings...that we revert to victim-hood when we feel overwhelmed with life. Isaiah did it. So did Elisha. Job. David. Jeremiah. Even Jesus had his moment in the Garden. The kick to the gut is real, and it hurts. The secret, said the celebrant, is not to give in to the temptation. To realize I have strength to rise up and move forward.

That got me to thinking how strong we really are and don't realize. Because to be strong in pain is to feel that pain, and to become a victim is somehow to sooth it. I know about clutching the "victim-hood". Somehow it justifies my bad feelings. It lets me continue my pity-party. But it also keeps me down, stunted, and closed. I cannot learn the lessons I am meant to learn.

As dedicated Christians, as spiritual persons, we are called to be alive people, people who do not crumble under pain, people who rise above our fears. I can only do that if I believe in Romans 8:28, For those who love God, all things work together for good. It isn't a denial of pain. It isn't a superhuman attitude or ability to slough it off. It is the courage to feel the pain and learn the lesson.

I know this isn't easy. I am no different from the rest. I don't like pain. But I am learning the lessons pain has to teach, and I am realizing it often coincides with my "growth-spurt".  If I let it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...