Monday, August 27, 2012

Jesus taking a chance



How often do we read the story of Jesus walking on water (Mt 14: 22-33) and see this as just an event to show Jesus' power over nature. We forget, Jesus was taking a risk too, going into the turmoil to be with those who were struggling.

It is a thought that makes me pause and reflect. I seek situations of peace and tranquility. In fact, I actively avoid persons and places that cause me stress.

And  yet, when I think of how Jesus went into the storm, I am faced with a different course of action, of choosing something stressful or painful for a greater good. How does that translate into my life?

I think that it requires a great deal of reflection and consideration. If I think that I am some sort of "savior" meant to head into difficult situations with the purpose of saving, I am doomed to failure and to making matters worse. But there are times when I must face the storm, when I must deal with unpleasantness, when I must walk right into the storm. In those times, I need to remember Jesus walking on water. His disciples did not say, "Oh look, there's Jesus. Now everything will be all right." No, they were even more frightened, cried out in even greater fear, taking Jesus for some sort of evil spirit. They misunderstood Jesus yet again. But Jesus stood firm.

My journey through life will have those types of challenges, when I need to step into the storm instead of run from it. If I can keep an open mind and heart, if I can remember that Jesus too took risks in his life, then I will have the attitude of openness to what the moment brings. I will know that my action is not about "fixing" a situation, but about following inspiration. And I will remember that grace comes in unexpected ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...