Friday, August 24, 2012

The need to control



I have been thinking of control of late, and how difficult it is for us to either let go of control, or submit to someone who is controlling. I don't like it, and I doubt if you do either.

I am thinking about control because I am thinking about how little control God exercises over our lives. God could. God could make the bad suffer punishment immediately, hold the rain on the unjust, or keep all bad from happening to us. But God doesn't. And I am sure I am not the only one who has wondered, why?

I think it is more than God letting us be free to live our lives. I think that, as Isaiah 55:9 says, as the heaves are high above the earth, so our my ways above your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. I think we just don't get it, that our manner of thinking is not God's way of thinking.

If we got it, we would stop laying on God to operate the way I would operate, should I have the power. For control comes down to a desire for power. And God, who has all the power, does not control.

I am not sure where I am going with all of this. I am thinking that to be content I need to know and respect boundaries. Boundaries allow me the freedom to be myself. When another pushes my boundaries, I am stressed, for I see it as a lack of respect.

Maybe that is God's plan. We need to respect the need for boundaries and limits.

Isaiah  says, as the heavens are high above the earth.... Have we not the power to bring heaven closer to earth? Then, in truth, even as we accept our boundaries, we have the power to enter more and more into the mind of God. Not completely. But enough to shed new light upon old questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...