Monday, August 6, 2012

Being willing to wander



Wandering in the wilderness. Like a scene from the Bible. People seeking God but having to wander through a desert along the way, feeling lost and having to move multiple times.

I can identify with that. I had a dream: enter monastic life, live there, die there. End of story. But it wasn't my story. I had to learn to move on. And sometimes move through a desert of unknowing.

I like to know. But when I surrender to the unknowing, when I wander without pulling out my life map and checking on my status and update, I have the most wonderful surprises. I have epiphanies, transfiguration,  revelation. It comes when it pleases, and I must be willing not to know.

I think we all need to learn that lesson, the lesson of living with unknowing. It holds so many surprises, so many wonderful revelations. If we can surrender.

I hope you have an unknowing happen to you today. I hope that in that unknowing, in that surrender, you experience a revelation or transfiguration. And I hope it strengthens your faith. For we don't always have to know. Sometimes we just need to be willing to wander.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, like to know. But you have written the truth...epiphanies, revelations come when they please. We must be willing not to know...which is a continual act of surrender. Thank you for writing this.
    Leah Slawson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah: I think you hit the nail on the head...surrender!

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...