Sunday, July 22, 2012

In a monastery garden

Monastery grounds


I've often heard the expression that silence prepares you to speak. I disagree.

I can argue this because I am a great proponent of silence. I have often spoken of it on this site, and I can honestly say that it is one of the elements of monastic life that I miss.

Even so, I still say that silence does not prepare you to speak. It prepares you to listen. It offers you a venue for meditation. But it does not make you ready for engagement.

I say this because when I left the monastery, my first response to difficulties was silence. It wasn't because I was being thoughtful. I simply didn't know what to say. It has taken me years to remedy this deficit.

I think this consideration applies to other things as well. What may be good for one thing is not necessarily good for another. And worst of all, over-spiritualizing my spiritual life is the worst sin of all. I am not prepared just because I believe, or because fate has handed me the chance. I need to prepare, regardless of my faith.

I don't know why I am rambling so much today. Perhaps it is the heat. Perhaps it is the absence of Internet during the week so I cannot blog. Or perhaps being back at the monastery has stirred up many thoughts and emotions.

I'll let you know next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...