Sunday, July 15, 2012

I'm just sayin...



A recent incident has made me re-visit thoughts on being true to your word.  Last summer I was in charge of getting someone to do some work at the monastery. Two men came, looked at the work, and said they would get back with quotes. I never heard from them again. Strange, I thought. Not only did they not call, but they did not even answer calls to them.

One fellow happened to be recommended by a friend. That friend also called with no results. So the monastery went ahead and got someone else who actually did the job.

This week, I found out from my friend that she saw this guy at a funeral (the one who promised quotes and never returned). She asked him what happened. Oh, he replied, I won't do that job. No way.

Why didn't he just tell me he wasn't interested? Why did he promise quotes and breakdowns and men when he had NO intention of delivering. Why was he so very unprofessional?

That's why today I am thinking of the sacredness of words. It's more than saying what you mean and meaning what you say. It is standing up in your own truth and not pretending to something that is not. It is thinking about what I say, so that my words speak from my integrity.

I say this because I am on my own journey toward reverencing my words more. I am working very hard to say not what I think the person wants to hear, but what is true in my heart and soul. I am working on upholding my word, so if I say I will try to do something, I really do try, and not let excuses get in my way. I am trying not to promise things I can't deliver.

And so, I have no respect for a contractor who tells me he will get back to me with quotes and breakdown of work, when he never intended to get back to me, period. I have no respect, because he showed me no respect. His words were cheap. I am glad he did not do the work, because he certainly is not a man anyone can trust.

It is necessary to be true to your word. For it says a lot about how much I believe and reverence myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...