Monday, June 18, 2012

How much courage do I have?



Desert solitude. How could one be attracted to the nothingness it afforded? Only by realizing the value of detachment. Athanasius's life of Anthony, who is considered the father of monasticism, says that it all began for Anthony when he heard the gospel passage "If you wilt be perfect, go and sell all you have and give to the poor, and come and follow me." (Mt. 19:21)  Such drastic life changes prompted not a audience of scornful viewers, but an influx of dedicated followers. There must be something in this detachment theory that enriches.

Obvious benefits of detachment would be less worry about possessions and a clearer mind for God.But beyond detachment making one free and uncluttered, I think it offered yet another benefit. Detachment removed the tendency to look at what I am by what I have. If I have nothing, then I can only look at what I am.

Such an act searches for purity of heart, a key christian element. I begin to see myself in a different light. I begin to understand that I am sufficient when I am full of the light of God. I do not need trappings to be acceptable. God has made me with an inner beauty which even the desert barrenness cannot take from me.

Detachment enriches me because it gives me better vision. It is the ever contradictory nature of loss. When I lose, I somehow realize what is truly important to me. I realize the treasures I have.

There is much in the detachment of the early desert Abbas and Ammas that could teach us better discipleship. The question is, how much courage do I have to be detached? Am I willing to peer into my emptiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...