Friday, June 8, 2012

Refusing to play it safe

Steeple of the very first interracial monastery in the United States


It happened in the late 1930's, when three nuns wanted to begin a monastery that accepted women of any background. They applied to practically every diocese of the US trying to find a sponsor, and no one wanted an interracial monastery in their area. It took many letters and not a few years before they finally found one bishop willing to take the risk.

It happened with my mother, when she decided to home school us in 1970. There were no homeschool movements at that time. When her attempt hit the newspaper and became front page news, our parish priest distanced himself from us. Our pastor, the man we did numerous services for, and who had shown us kindness. He did not want to take a chance.

It happened to me when I was enduring my darkest hours as a monastic religious nun. My counselor told me to seek help from the Archbishop. I tried. He not only stepped back from my situation, he had some harsh words to say to me for having a problem. He could not understand anyone who struggled.

These thoughts come to mind as I read the Gospels, and realize that perhaps one of the most dramatic parts of the Gospels is the way Jesus could identify with the wounded and the poor. Jesus always took the risk, a chance. He showed compassion to those who suffered, especially those who were outcast by society. This is the real Jesus of the Gospels. He is not some stone statue that stands with hands outstretched waiting for us to bow down before him. He is the one who stoops to our level, reaching out to lift us up, to give us life.

Perhaps it is a human frailty, to step back and play it safe in the face of trouble or when confronted with frailty. And yet, it was Jesus who is quoted as saying in Jn 10:10 The thief comes to steal and destroy; I have come that you may have life, and have it more abundantly. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

For me, it is a reminder of true discipleship. Following Jesus is not some safe journey. It is a very human endeavor, one that uses those graces, those insights, that intimate relationship in prayer to then reach out to those who hurt, or are wounded, or need a voice.

For Jesus never played it safe. And neither should you or me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...