Tuesday, June 19, 2012

God does not call the gifted

We all have light within, we just need to pull it out and set it on a hill


It was a line that Anne Lamott quoted from her pastor's sermon on King David of the Old Testament. "God does not call the gifted, but gifts the called." I liked it immediately. I've been thinking about gifts lately, and the need to let them flow.

I think we tend to get it wrong about gifts. We look at geniuses, at stars, at people who have become rich because of some gift, and we think that is what gifts should do. But I do not believe that is the purpose of gifts.

Genesis says that when God finished creating, God looked at everything and said, "It is good." I think my reminder of that good is the gift God has given to me. I am not speaking here of some esoteric gift, some mind boggling earth shattering talent. I am speaking of the task or talent or ability that gives you joy. An ability that you should nurture. A task that, when performed, leaves you refreshed, not exhausted.

I am calling attention to this because I reflected on my own gift recently, as I walked by a piano in my church. I sighed and wished I had one in my little place. Not because I am a pianist. But because making music brings such joy to my heart and soul. When I play the piano, it's like I stepped for a time away from life as we know it here, and into another world. A world that does not count time or space. It is as though, somehow, God is released in that playing, and refreshes me in a singlular way. It is my little treasure I carry, and I am less when the opportunity is not there.

Do not let the world of glitter make you think light of your gift. Talent is not for standing up on a stage and proclaiming, only to be judged. It is that piece of heaven you carry inside of you, and which brings you joy. It is a reminder that yes, God gifts the called. And we are all called.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...