Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Seeking a way to human hearts



To serve God is to seek a way to human hearts says Jerzy Popieluszko. I think it is easy to forget that loving God is very earthy, very human, very tangible. It's like rays that cannot be contained, but that break forth upon everything around it. No man is an island wrote John Donne. No one can love God in a vacuum. It must of necessity spring forth. And its target is the human heart.

I have had the joy and inspiration of meeting people who radiate that love of God. That individual is just different. She sees things differently, as she is gentle in her speech and her view of life. She speaks differently as her words speak directly to the heart, not repeating some oft read words or quoting some familiar scripture passage. She lives by inspiration, not driven by some passion or working for some glory. This person had an amazing thoughtfulness of others such as I had not experienced before. When I was around her, I felt the presence of God.

I think this is what it means to servie God is to seek a way to human hearts. It is not some unattainable attribute or glory. It is very tangible. It affects those who come in contact with such a soul. It is as though she were carrying God within her, and I could not help but be affected by that Presence, a Presence not just felt, but seen by human actions.

Paul once said, I live, now not I, but Christ lives in me (Gal 2:20). I think that this is more obvious to those around someone like this than to the person herself. When Christ lives fully in me, I change. And that change in tangible, noticeable, and powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...