Friday, June 15, 2012

Accepting imperfect love

Sunset in South Dakota


We all want to be loved. It is the strongest desire of the human heart. And we cannot live without it.

But we know, no matter how strong the love, all love is fallible. Perhaps that is why psalm 63 reminds us to Rest in God alone. It continues God only is my rock and salvation, my stronghold: I shall not be disturbed at all.

Psalm 63 reminds us that only one can give us unconditional, perfect love, God. All else will love us in a tangible but fallible way. I need to remember this. No matter how deeply I may love someone or they may love me, be it my soul-mate or a kindred spirit, that love will not fully satisfy. There will be bumps in the road.

If I am grounded in psalm 63, if I am aware that only God's love is perfect, then I will allow human love its human frailties. I will not expect what cannot be. And in accepting that, I will experience an even greater satisfaction when I am loved

And that is hardly a bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...