Sunday, June 24, 2012

Being least and still being great



Today is the Feast of John the Baptist, that fiery prophet who lost his head, literally, because he spoke the truth. The story of John from the gospels makes John seem wild, bold, and daring. John is doing what no one else dared do. He was breaking from tradition and baptizing people as a sign of repentance.

Jesus, when asked about John, said I tell you, among those born of women, no one is greater than John. But then Jesus added, yet the least in the kingdom of God is greater than he (Lk 7:28). It is an interesting remark, and I still have not come to understand it. But I can tell you what thoughts occur to me.

I think that truth does set us free. I think it the bond in relationships, the foundation of our faith with God, the reason we should trust any of our leaders.

There is also the truth about myself. I have secrets I need to let out, closets I need to open, and an honest face I need to present. All of those are almost a given.

But I also believe there are certain secrets we cannot share. And so, we cannot always speak that truth we hold within. When I realize this, I will not demand that others always speak the truth to me. I will accept that we each have our own inner secrets we dare not reveal. After all, we are fragile in our inner core, and we must protect that vulnerability.

Perhaps this is Jesus meaning. That John was great for speaking his mind, even when it cost him his head. But I do not have to be like that. I can be less than that, and still be greater than John. Simple because I can accept where I am, and know I do not have to follow in those footsteps.

That's my thought for today. What is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...