Sunday, March 4, 2012

My transfiguration moments



This weekend the gospel story is about Peter, James and John being taken on a mountain apart, where they see Jesus transfigured before their eyes. I've often thought this a pretty cool experience, something I'd only read about in the gospels.

And yet, when I think about it, I can be transfigured in my own life. I can find the noble in me every time I listen to an inspiration or respond to a prompting.

I have to stop thinking of God and the things of God as esoteric. I have to stop reading the gospels as something that happened to others long ago. I can have a gospel experience now.

My problem comes in looking at the readings as "extraordinary". Thinking of the transfiguration only as Jesus, with his face shining like the sun, and his clothes white as snow. And the cloud descending with the Father's voice. These things I will never see.

But I will see life in different lights...some as brilliant as the sun...as those inspirations that come to me during meditation, or even during just regular work. I will hear the voice of God deep within the cloud of my own consciousness, prompting me, guiding me, encouraging me. I will find myself remembering words from the prophets, words that can enlighten my life in the here in now.

These are my transfiguration moments. If I wait for the Jesus in the white garment thing, then I'll miss all the wonderful experiences open to me every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...