Thursday, March 15, 2012

Facing the truth




Have you ever been told, you are just too afraid to face the truth? It seems to be the common battle of us all.

That battle is actually addressed in John 8:32, seek the truth and the truth will set you free.

Seeking the truth means taking life out of the abstract sense of what I would like it to be, and living it in the concrete. It means, having truthful eyes.

Robert Wicks addresses this when he writes it's not so easy for me to have such truthful eyes. I guess it isn't for anyone who wants to be an honest, vulnerable healer in concrete situations rather than a person of love in the abstract sense. Abstract love never involves risk or failure, just good wishes and a rich imagination. (Seeds of Sensitivity, page 81)

I particularly like his sentence, Abstract love never involves risk or failure…That is so true. I would imagine every individual learns this when in a relationship: it is never like the fairy tales.

And yet, seeking the truth about myself does not set me free without cost. Perhaps that is why I hesitate. I find that sometimes what I learn in truth is hard to bear. It is easier to let myself be a prisoner of my own fantasies.

Still, the freedom that comes with facing the truth, even the hard truth, is worth the effort. That freedom can not be described. It can only be enjoyed by those courageous enough to face their truth, to pay the price, and to step out of fantasy. What they discover is "other worldly" and noble and enriching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...