Sunday, March 11, 2012

If you knew the gift of God



The woman at the well. (see Jn 4: 5-42)  A woman who has been cast aside by society. And Jesus not only speaks to her, he tells her, if you but knew the gift of God and who is saying to you 'give me a drink' you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.

It is amazing that Jesus reveals to this woman what he has not yet shared with his disciples, that he is the one spoken of by the prophets of old. What does Jesus see in this woman that compels him to reveal himself? I do not know.

But this I know: the spirit of God come to me as well. Sometimes it prompts me to give a gift. The prompting is a small urge, a inner nudge, a haunting voice in my heart. I sometimes turn a deaf ear. But sometimes I heed that inner prompting. And I have experienced God returning the gift in a most marvelous manner, sometimes a spiritual gift, sometimes a material blessing. Unexpected, and wonderful to behold.

If you but knew the gift of God. It is a reminder of hidden blessings. It is a reminder that God does not look for the acceptable, but the daring soul, the one awake, listening and responding regardless of standing. It is the reminder that I too have something precious to offer to God.

If you but knew the gift of God, you would ask of me. Today is a good day to reflect on these words. A good day to find that gift and respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...