Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Becoming a single voice




Echos. They fascinate me. Sometimes they do more...they draw me into a "following" mode. It’s not a bad thing to follow. Some people lead into very interesting paths. But sometimes when I give myself over to following, I forget to discern my own choices. When I do that, I lose my most authentic self. I let someone else dictate to me what should be, instead of searching for it inside my heart and pondering over it with my mind and praying over it while trying to discern.

To be authentic means to be brave enough to face myself alone, see who I really am, when no one is around, when I am in my room by myself, when there is no danger of criticism or shock or dismay. For we all fear the reaction we will receive if people really knew us. And I fear shocking myself more than shocking anyone else.

I am meant to be a clear, single voice. I am meant to sing my own song with my own voice.  And when I sing my part, clearly and unabashedly, the melody takes on a new beauty, one coming from something only I can give.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...