Thursday, October 6, 2011

Loss and gratitude



Since last evening, the news is concentrating on one man, Steve Jobs. A man who changed many things in our world, yes. But why do we wait until a person passes before we honor them in this way? It does make one wonder.

I have a great friend who still lives in the monastery. She used to refrain from speaking at a sister's funeral because, as she said with passion, it was more important say kind words when that sister could still hear you. She said to me repeatedly, "Don't give me flowers after I'm dead and can't see them. If you want to give or say something nice about me, do it now when I can appreciate it."

I've profited from such thoughts. It makes me think that we tend to appreciate things more after we lose them than when we are able to enjoy them. It reminds me of a quote from Therese of Lisieux, who said that she received countless blessings after she developed a habit of continual gratitude. And an attitude of gratitude would bring us into the here and now.

Such thoughts always prompt me to re-evaluate my life and try to see what I'm taking for granted. Do I have something that is a blessing? Can I not appreciate it fully and completely now? Can I make thanksgiving a daily part of my prayer? Do I have to wait to to lose before I see my blessings?

It's a habit worth developing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...