Friday, November 9, 2012

When I have lost faith



I think many of us go through a rough period when we question what we believe in and wonder what it all means and do we even still believe. It is a time when we lose faith.

But what is losing faith? I think for many, it does not mean an abandonment of all that I believe in. It is losing what once had meaning for me, and finding a different way of making meaning. It means crossing the scriptural desert by questioning and finding out some of the things I thought were necessary, were solid, were rock bottom, simply are not.

I like to think of the disciples. They followed Jesus because they full expected him to return Israel to its former glory. This is how they understood the Messiah. And they found out, as Jesus died on the cross, that they were wrong.

Imagine that loss of faith! And yet, it was necessary for them to lose it because they needed to understand differently.

So do we. We need to be challenged in our understanding, like the disciples of Jesus, and a little confused at times. It helps us clarify right thinking from fantasy, and solid ground from imagination.

So do not be afraid of losing faith. Despite the fear of that night, remember psalm 23: I will not fear the dark valley, for you are there with me at my side. With your rod and your staff, that give me courage.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...