Sunday, November 4, 2012

The way I follow should be my own



I have all too often heard that following Jesus is hard. We read in scripture that the way is narrow, few are those who find it (Mt 7:14).  Many are called, few are chosen (Mt 24:14). Such lines make it seem that living for God has to be difficult, next to impossible, and lonely. And yet, nothing could be farther from the truth.

Catherine of Siena once wrote that “the way to heaven is broad,” and that “all the way to heaven is heaven.” I’ve always been impressed with the contradiction of St. Catherine’s statement and St Matthew’s gospel passages.

So how do we interpret this narrow way promoted by Matthew? I’ve come to believe that the narrow way spoken of in the gospel points to the way destined for each individual. I see it saying that the path destined for me is not one traveled by anyone else, and I am meant to blaze it myself. Following that way is difficult, because it requires learning discernment and overcoming my fear of making a mistake. It means taking chances, having courage to be responsible for my choices, having the ability to say I’m wrong, turn around, and try again.

To follow the “narrow way” is to follow that path set out for me alone, the one God intended that my feet, and only my feet trod, the one that leads to my destiny. It requires blazing my way through areas no one else has gone before. It requires letting God be my beacon, over everyone else.

That doesn’t mean I should discount another’s inspiration and admirable conduct. Nor does it mean I must make a religion that suits my own fancies and discount all others. It simply means that however much I’m influenced by someone else and their journey, my journey requires a particular faithfulness to God’s plan for me. And few there are those who have the courage to believe and follow such an individualized path.

The way is narrow and few are those who follow it. Because we have a herd instinct, and would rather find a way well trodden and wide. But if we believe in destiny, than we must also believe that no two individuals have the same exact call. As it says in Isaiah 43:1: For I have called you by name, you are mine. In God's eyes, each on of us has a name, and each one has her own path to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...