Thursday, November 15, 2012

When prayer is not enough



One of the most interesting words in scripture are the words of Jesus disciples, "Lord, teach us how to pray" (Lk 11:1). Why were the disciples asking that? They had the whole Jewish cycle of prayer, they had the law, they had the customs of their day; they had the Sabbath day prayer, the Feasts, the Vigils. And yet, when they saw Jesus pray, it was different, he was different, and they wanted to know why.

I think that is a good question to ask. Because no matter how many books there are on prayer, no matter how well we manage to pray, there will be times when we will realize, that is not enough. Isn't that what prompted the disciples? With all their formulas and feasts, did they not recognize that Jesus offered something deeper?

I think Jesus waits for us to ask that question. I think it comes when our disillusionment has been dealt with and we are becoming individuals with a different understanding. I think no individual can teach us true prayer. I think we learn it only when the question comes straight from the depths of our hearts, and we realize we need  to understand beyond the prayer we once knew.

I hope you ask that question today. I hope I do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...