Friday, November 2, 2012

The need of a good friend



I tend to look for people who mirror my values, and who accept me as I am. And many times I hope that it will stay that way. But if I am sincere about my progress, my journey, or my mission in life, than I should expect something different. I should expect that things will not stay that way, but will change. And a good friend will help me in that.

Funny how I accept that in nature, change is a sign of growth. No one complains when the seed they planted becomes a flower, or when the garden bears fruit, or the tree becomes ripe with apples or pears or cherries or oranges. It is nature's way of continuing life. It is expected and even hoped for..

Our spiritual life needs the same, and we find it in a good friend or companion. I should expect a true friend, one who is healthy for me, to be the one whose honesty and trust enable me to accept the changes that I must make in life. A good friend will have the courage to criticize me as well, as a way to urge me forward. I will accept constructive criticism because I, too, will express honest opinions. Such a relationship helps nurture the strongest roots.

When I enter into a friendship, I should nurture a healthy exchange of ideas. I should also welcome the way it can change me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...