Saturday, February 26, 2011

Discernment of Roles

Painting by Sr.Mary Grace Thul, OP


How often in life we hesitate because we are afraid of taking a chance? I'm not referring to lottery tickets or horse races. I'm referring to stepping out and daring to do something out of character. Something that speaks to our heart and requires a response, one we fear to give.

Part of our hesitation comes from our lack of perspective. We think of life as all about me. But life is bigger than me. The important part of my life is the role I play, the role I am called to.

But who understands that role right off? How many of us have chosen our role only to discover we've not perhaps chosen wisely? What will make us take the next step?

I often refer to life as a journey because journeys are spend in moving, in contrast to work, which is usually accomplished by standing or staying still. Too many of us are afraid of moving, not so much because of the cost but for fear of a failed discernment, of another misstep. But we can only get it right if we keep trying. Staying in a failed discernment gets us no where. Better to make another failed discernment than fail to discern at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...