Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Life Outside the Norm



The other challenge to faith, I think, is to never be complacent. It's a tendency in life, to become comfortable with a system, a place, a position. It's not wrong, it's just not life-giving. But with faith, we have to be the one to move forward. Perhaps that's why suffering can be beneficial to those who believe. We can take suffering and let it lead us out of our safe place and turn it to a seeking for "more".

I've consoled myself with this thought as my life continues to move forward in uncharacteristic ways. I know my life has not followed the "norm" and I suppose part of my reflection is finding a good aspect to my continued journey forward. I'd like the "norm". It just isn't the way life happened to me, or better yet, the way I've chosen to go. I want it to represent something good, something active, something life-giving, and so I think of all the ways one could live without seeking, and I conclude its to accept the "norm".

But isn't it true that the "norm" tends to be static? Isn't it true that too many are set in their ways, unable to move into an unfamiliar area of faith, of life, of living? And isn't this fear, a fear that paralyzes?

So I think I am not too far off the mark here. And instead of wishing my life followed the "norm" I'm trying to be grateful I have so many opportunities to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...