Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Mystical Body

Ever have something happen to a friend, and feel like it knocked you off your feet? I guess that is what is meant by the communion of Saints--that we share a bond so deep that time and space cannot diminish the spiritual ties that bind us.

I remember when a dear friend of mine left the monastery. I was deeply affected by her taking off the habit and going back out into the world, as if her own struggle with commitment had affected my own belief in it. I found myself questioning the how and why and what does it all mean. I felt as though her failure had in some way lessened my own ability to remain faithful, that her questioning had in some way cast a shadow over my faith, that her giving up, as it were, had dampened my determination to go forward.

We all have similar experiences, though we each process them differently. But as I remember that day like it was yesterday, I realize better just how inter-connected we are spiritually with those who share our way of life. And Paul's comments on the Body of Christ, and how we are all part of that one body, become just a bit more clear.

I think we tend to forget this important part of living out the Gospel in our effort to pray, work and accomplish. Our lives are interconnected-and we do need to remember we lift each other up by our good example. And when one soul loses heart, all of our hearts lose just a little too.

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted you to know i read your posts. I usually don't have anything to "say" but they are thought/contemplation provoking. Thanks, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ann. It is always encouraging to know others find something useful in them.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...