Friday, July 16, 2010

Discernment and Relationship

The Sunrise this morning!

I was walking with a friend yesterday, and mentioned how stressful I find the process of discernment. How so? she asked. Well, I responded, I am sometimes in a quandary as to whether I should act or whether I should wait.

In the old days, we use to confront all major problems of this kind with the statement, we must pray. And then we would walk away. If God wanted something done, well, he had better do it himself! But I've learned better now, learned that that free will God gave me has some amazing powers to open doors and change direction and step forward. I just don't always know the when or where or how.

I've seen books written about discernment, as though it were some magical or mystical mathematical problem that needs a mysterious formula. I agree it is mystical. But I don't consider it mathematical. I consider it part of an ongoing relationship with God, one where we try to understand him better so as to follow that wonderful plan he has for us. And, best of all, we don't always have to get it right, we just have to keep on trying.

Bonaventure saw God as relationship, in the mystery of the Trinity. I've never been attracted to the mystery of the Trinity, just because it seemed to impose more problems than I wanted to grapple with. But I love the concept of viewing God as a relationship-one person interacting with the others. And I love the concept of our life as a close relationship with God, something organic, something very close to life on the natural.

So, my guess is that discernment is a compilation of our relationship with God, not some "what do you want" question, but "do you think I should go this way?"  Perhaps I'm splitting hairs. But I am willing to bet, if you are discovering an ever deeper relationship with God, than you will know which hair I'm talking about.

1 comment:

  1. I am wary of talking about God as a Person (or Persons) in the same sense as humans. So I don't think it's helpful to talk about Her as if She had needs or desires. She is the Void before which we spring into personhood and awareness of ourselves. So the process of discernment for me is about what tends toward greater harmony with the Tao, the Void, the Suchness, the Silence. But I do get what you mean, and I like your sense of God as relationship.

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...