Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Inescapably Determined


As an English major, I love words. So when I saw the words: inescapably determined" I was captivated! The writer referred to attitudes toward family influences, how we believe that where we come from totally influences what we can be. But I can see a broader use for these two words: life itself.

Know of anyone who seems "stuck" in a pattern of depression or self-pity? It can be a thankless job, a loveless marriage or an empty relationship. The individual will act as though there is no solution, as if they are "stuck" and cannot escape. That is where they are wrong.

Life doesn't deal out bad things to good people, people do. And we have the power to accept or reject many such incidents because we have a weapon  given to us by God: our own powerful free will. Our problem comes when we find it easier to complain rather than to change! Because such actions are hard, demanding, threatening to our security, our identity, our circle of life. Yet, if we take the courage needed, we can experience life-altering changes.

Perhaps it is good to keep the psalmists words in our heart: Look to the Lord in his strength: seek to serve him constantly. (105). When life calls for drastic change, when the choice will alter the way we live and the circumstances we live in, we need the Lord and his strength.  I know, because I have had to make such choices. And my only regret is I waited longer than I needed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...