Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Kick off your shoes

I'm sitting here doing my meditation, my shoes off, my coffee right at my side, sitting in a comfortable chair and cooled by air conditioning. And I'm thinking, "Wow, this is life." Then I remember that St. Catherine of Sienna said, "All the way to heaven IS heaven." And I think some more about how we make our lives-full of simplicity or full of rules.

I, for one, don't like rules. I guess that's a by-product of so many years living in a monastery. Teach me the spirit of the thing, and let me fly. Rules-well, rules are made to be broken. Because if you don't break the rules, then you are-what? Bound. Right?

I think we make rules mostly to control others. If you want something to go smoothly without any mistakes, what do you do? You draw up a schedule, to limit what others do! Or you put together a bunch of "dos" which imply all the "don't dos".

Okay. I know this is too simplistic. It's hot here and I love my bare feet and I think Jesus broke rules in the Gospels to tell us-its not about the rules. It's about the spirit.

So, go forth and live in the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...