Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Tie Down


Perseverance. I was taught, as a young religious, that no grace was greater than that one. That once you made the commitment, to live and die in that commitment-that was the highest perfection. I believed it-until I found out better.

To keep in God's grace doesn't mean we have to "stay the same". There are times when we must move on, when staying in our present position is actually a cop out, a failure to God's inspiration in our heart. Just because we've begun life a certain way in a certain state doesn't mean we have to remain in that state or way the rest of our lives. To do so means we can never admit we've made a mistake.

So now I don't think about perseverance. I think about God and grace and truth. Because these things, to me, mean more than "staying with that choice you once made many years ago, maybe a choice made under pressure or in stress or whatever, but once you make a promise, you can never ever admit it was a mistake, God simply would not understand such humanness."

So don't think perseverance. Think - is this right for me? And if you find it isn't, don't be afraid to say "Gosh, I've made a mistake. It's time to get out of this and move on."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...