Sunday, February 26, 2012

Follow me in the scripture sense

Camino Trail through Cahors, France

Follow me. The words tend to make one think of obedience, submission, and disregard for one's own desires. Yet, when Jesus said Follow me he invited us to a different kind of following, one that used him as an example, one of seeking destiny. For Jesus, destiny did not mean following the status quo. If anything, it meant stepping outside the norm, thinking in terms of truth, not convention. If you hesitate to accept this, think of how Jesus was judged by his own church authorities: he cures on the Sabbath; he eats and drinks with sinners; he makes himself to be like God.

In each of our lives, there comes a time when we too are challenged in our discernment. What seems the right thing to do is not the norm, does not follow protocol, is not offering security. Yet, when we can accept our responsibilities and made the hard decision, we find we step deep into a new level of spiritual life.

It doesn't have to be dramatic. And I can pray, reflect, and seek advise. But ultimate, I have to make the final decision.

Perhaps the difficulty we experience in discernment comes from expecting life to follow some sort of norm. Even though we are scripture people, we tend not to read the gospels very deeply. For when Jesus invites us to follow him, he is really asking us to be willing to risk. He shows us that when following him, we must think not in terms of what is acceptable, but in where I am called; to seek my destiny, not my stability. And, as wonderful as the pilgrim's life looks on paper, it is not so romantic in reality. It requires me to draw deep from inside of myself, and find a stronger faith, a greater trust, and a deeper love.

I find that once I make that step, I begin to live on a different plane, one deeper and more aware of my destiny. I begin to be less afraid of fear, and strengthened in making hard choices. I find myself not looking for peace, but for my calling, for fulfillment in the stage of meaningful living, for God. Because my concept of God has changed, and I know God can be reached, God can be touched, God can be taken at his word. And I know, I too can become like God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...