Saturday, February 18, 2012

Backpacking through lent.



Lent is closing in. Before Ash Wednesday comes, I want to prepare myself to best benefit from the opportunity of 40 days dedicated to reflection and compassion. I want lent to make a difference.

First, I want to remember that lent offers me the opportunity to remember the real Jesus. If I can believe anything of the gospels, it is that Jesus reached out to me at my level. He did not pretend to take suffering or sorrow away. He came to endure as I endure, and to suffer as I suffer.

Lent reminds me of this very subtle theme. And if I want to be a true Christian, I too must learn to suffer with those who suffer and endure with those who endure.

For Christianity steps into the unity of commonality. It should make me closer to my fellow human beings, not set me apart. It should bring me into the reality of life, not remove me from it. It should build my empathy, and enrich my charity. This is how Jesus lived.

Lent offers me the opportunity to do just that. It invites me to prepare myself for the unique journey of life by focusing on my attitudes.

As the days of Lent approach, instead of joining in the wild parties that mark Shrove Tuesday, I want to gear up for a more solid spiritual journey, as one about to go off on a long backpacking trek.  I want to make sure I add meditation, austerity, and silence to my backpack. Because, I want this lent to make a difference.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much, Jeff! So nice to hear from readers, and esp. to know that you think enough of the posts to send the award along. Much appreciated!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...