Sunday, July 3, 2011

Finding my true treasure


The morning sun


It was a line on the radio talking about things of the heart. The announcer said, “We think we know what we want, but we really don’t.” He was talking about online dating, and how sites match you, not by the questionnaire you fill out, but by the choices you make on their site. 

Which proves, we have a hard time knowing our own hearts. 

I fail because such discovery requires peeling off my misconceptions, dropping my false bravado, standing vulnerable and imperfect before myself. To do that, I must have one great, big, and expansive trust in the goodness and love of the Divine One. I will not be able to accept myself if I am not first convinced of God’s total acceptance of me; that I am precious in the sight of the Divine.

Perhaps this is what Jesus means when he tells Martha, "You are upset and worried about many things. But only one thing is necessary" (Lk 10:41) Perhaps Martha felt she had to do all of these things if she were to please Jesus with her service. And Jesus upset the whole picture by telling her, only one thing is necessary, that the treasure is more simple than that.

The one thing necessary. How can I find that one thing, that one treasure, the real desire of my heart? It is intricately bound up with my ability to stand vulnerable and wounded before myself, and let go of the need to please. It is found only with a strong and firm faith and trust in a Divine love and goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...