Friday, July 22, 2011

The gift of God



If you but knew the gift of God... The words come to my mind often. In hindsight I am quick to see the gifts given, the obstacle that forced me to make a choice, to move on, or to turn around; the long darkness that taught me to seek God within instead of outside myself. The seemingly insignificant voice in my head that, when followed, proved to be a blessing. Yes, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

But why do I wait for hindsight? Can I not see the gift of God, here and now? And do I always have to be the beneficiary to see it as a gift? Perhaps this incident, this occasion is given to me so that another may have a gift. Perhaps I am meant to be their gift, by being there at the right time, or missing out so another may have.

It comes back to vision, and how we perceive. I like to think of the gift of God as something that benefits myself. I need to broaden my vision and remember the whole people of God, those outside my little sphere. I need to trust more, so that I can believe in the gift before I make sense of it, or without needing it to please me.

It is all part of my pilgrim journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...