Sunday, January 30, 2011

Who Do I say I am?

Who do you say that I am? These words of Jesus can make all of us pause, if only for a moment. Perhaps we should turn the question around and say, who do I say that I am?

Often our image of ourselves carries a bit of distance from reality. It's easy to spot in others. A bit harder to spot in me. But sometimes those images come together, and seem a "fit" for who we should be. We can spend years following an image we've accepted of ourselves, only to find, in the end, that it isn't.

What makes my image? What people tell me I am? What I imagine I am? These are questions for real soul searching. And, of course, attempting to be that image. But sometimes I let the image of who I think I should be replace the authentic me.

Sometimes we look with envy at what someone else is doing, envy because we secretly admire that person, but envious because we find every excuse to deny our own potential in following our dream. Sometimes we remain the image others have of us because becoming our own self is too painful, too new, too hard to adjust to. So we cling instead of letting go. How shall we ever find our real self? By serious reflection. By courage. By acceptance of failure when the "image" doesn't work.

Who do I say that I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...