Friday, January 7, 2011

Holding On to Revealing Moments



This quote from the Dalai Lama receives lots of attention: A change of heart is always a change of mind. But what does that mean, in reality?

I suppose we all have, at one point in our lives or another, experienced some kind of change of heart. But I don't think that automatically translates into a change of mind. I think for this phrase to ring true, we need to realize WE effect the change of mind, by noting how our heart changed, why, and to what purpose. Otherwise, the change of heart will be temporary, a momentary grace, a fleeting and passing inspiration. And what could be more tragic than to experience a revealing moment in my life only to let it slip into forgetfulness? I suspect this happen to us more often than we'd like to admit.

To seize the moment of grace requires more than an awareness, though that was what I was going to say at first. But I don't believe it is enough. Somehow, we have to "own" our grace. And I think to do that successfully, we have to work at keeping that grace alive so that it doesn't slip back into the darkness. There are several ways to do this: remembrance in gratitude, continued reflection on the before and after, a vivid recollection of the moment of grace. But I think, to really keep a moment of grace alive, we have to make changes that reflect that grace; to think differently we have to act differently; to effectively keep a grace alive means taking control of the change it has effected, and making sure it continues to day two, and day three, etc.

I'd love to hear what you think, as this thought is still working itself out in my mind, and I'm sure there are others out there with better answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...