Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Blazing your own trail



A journey entry from March 12, 1998:

During my walks in the woods these past days, I noticed how difficult I find it to stay on the trails. For one, the lure of the wilderness, especially when there is a ridge to climb, is almost impossible for me to resist.

Secondly, when I follow a trail, I get disorientated easily and quickly. When I choose my own path, I am alert to the direction I decide to go.

Thirdly, when I break my own trail, I enjoy the scenery more. When I follow the trail, I'm so concerned with the markings that sign you are on the right path that I miss much of the scenery that is all around me. Afraid if I miss a marking, I might get lost.

So, I think there is more than a desire for adventure when I break from the trails.I think it is telling me something about life.

Such a simple account of my time at the Priory in West Chester, NY the winter of 1998. But the experience taught me so much. I began to realize my need to blaze my own trails, of choosing my own path, of letting my gut guide me rather than someone else. It took time, but what a valuable lesson it taught me!

So I say to you, if you are living life following someone else, give it up. You have a path to blaze for yourself. And I promise you, you won't find fulfillment until you break from the well trodden path and seek your own place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...