Monday, January 3, 2011

Manifesting Through Contemplative Gaze

If we decide to carve out a space for ourselves each day, one where there is silence and reflection, we are in truth preparing ourselves for contemplative gazing. And becoming mystical is all about the ability to practice the contemplative gaze. Richard Rohr defines a mystic simply as one who has moved from mere belief systems or belonging systems to actual inner experience (Naked Now, 29-30). Such definition makes clear why it is necessary to cultivate the contemplative gaze; so that I move beyond what I believe into how I live it.

Funny how much of our actions are first caught up in our soul. There is truth in Rene Descartes's philosophical supposition: I think, therefore I am. We who are spiritual can put a different spin on these words and paraphrase it thus: What I believe remains only a doctrine. I must contemplate it, meditate on it, ponder it thoughtfully until it becomes the blood in my veins and the breath in my soul. Then, it will manifest itself not by what I say, but by the intensity  with which I live.

Just another reason to make the resolution to spend time in silence and quiet, learning how to be still and open the soul to the spirit. If you do this faithfully, your spiritual vision will become accustomed to any kind of darkness life throws at you, and you will hold steady and continue the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...