Saturday, October 30, 2010

Reading the Psalms



If you are ever in need of inspiration, open up the book of psalms and start reading. In there you will find  a whole array of human emotions, from joy to anger, hope to despair, gratitude to questioning God and his ways.

I'd like to share what I read this morning from psalm 91: You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, Say to the Lord, "My refuge and fortress, my God in whom I trust."

I love the image of abiding in the shadow of the Almighty. It implies being so close to God that you are never farther away than a shadow can throw, and you are there "abiding" meaning, that's your regular spot. That image reminds me how as kids we tended to stay close to mom or dad, just because it felt safer. We sensed if they were close, nothing bad could happen to us.

Abiding also implies sensing a presence. For us mortals, that sense has to be a gut sense, an intuition, an awareness of something not seen. Becoming aware of God makes us also aware of the spiritual. And that leads us into a whole new realm of life.

I'd love to know what psalms you opened to this morning, and your thoughts on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...