Friday, October 1, 2010

Living that Interior Level with God

Consciousness. That is the fundamental task of the dedicated Christian. I got into a discussion on this recently. One person felt she lacked that consciousness because God didn't come to mind when she was really busy working. We argued back and forth, that consciousness isn't something so external, but rather an intention, a state of awareness, a level of living.

That got us into a discussion on formalized prayers. I believe that the more interior our lives become, the less we need the externals. Thinking back on formal prayers, I'm reminded of the many I once did. I believed that the presence of God was made conscious to me by some repetitious formal prayer repeated over and over again. Now I know better.

Now I know that real devotion comes from so deep within the soul that the externals, though helpful, are not necessary. That intention resides where the voice is silent. That when you have really handed on your life to God, that life continues on a new level, with different needs and different manners of expression.

I'm not saying you don't need external formalized prayer. What I'm saying is, that if that is all you have, you are missing the best part of a relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...