Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Finding the Beyond



For the last two days, this hymn keeps replaying over and over in my mind. I heard it a couple weeks ago at a funeral. Yet it wasn't until Monday evening that it began to replay in my mind, over and over again, until I wondered what was going on! Then I heard Tuesday  readings of the Good Shepherd, and realized my soul is totally in sync with the liturgy!

The hymn starts Shepherd me O God, beyond my wants, beyond my needs, from death into life. We are all familiar with psalm 22, The Lord is my Shepherd, there is nothing I should want. The hymn goes one step further. It prays we go beyond our wants and needs, seeing the Shepherd as the true life. I like this interpretation because it admits we have needs and that they do need attending to, that they are valid. To deny human needs is to portray Christianity as some form of asceticism that denies the true human condition. And God knows, that is disastrous.

Faith and trust in God does not negate; it fulfills. That is a truth we need to hold on to. Perhaps the centuries of monastics have made one believe that to truly love and serve God requires a radical separation from all that is normal, from all that is human, from all that can be desired in this life. But nothing could be further from the truth.

We are all called to a life that is lived with spiritual awareness and mature understanding of human needs. And to prove it, the psalmist wrote Even when I walk through a dark valley, I fear no evil for you are at my side. A spiritual life isn't about going without, it is about going beyond to that which is at our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...