Thursday, December 30, 2010

Peaceful Silence

I love this quote from Wisdom 18: 14-15, used for today's liturgy: When peaceful silence lay over all, and night had run half of her swift course, your all-powerful word, O Lord, leaped down from heaven, from the royal throne.

Peaceful silence. We all practice silence at times, as a way to recharge, but also as a way to punish. We practice silence when we are in turmoil, or insulted, or simply too depressed to talk. But that is a mournful silence, an angry silence, a selfish silence.

Peaceful silence. It seems a prerequisite for the Word leaping down. It implies tranquility. It speaks to my ability to balance my life so that what happens to me and my choice of response do not collide in conflict, but are resolved to the best possible solution. Not an easy action.

Peaceful silence. I'm reminded of the stillness of night, of falling snow, of a glowing sunset. All have potential to be beautiful, if we appreciate them.

This is what this phrase brings to my mind. What does it bring to yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...