Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolution for Me

Each New Year we are refreshed with the opportunity to make a new start. Often we make resolutions. Often, we bring a certain expectation to the New Year, expectations about our own goals, and those of others. It is good to examine those expectations for a couple things: are they fair and are they realistic.

Often the disappointment we experience in our lives comes from our own expectations. We fail to look at the norm, at the conduct we or another person consistently demonstrates. We want more, and we want better. Often these desires have more to do with our own conduct and expectations and less to do with another. Such attitudes cannot but set us up for disappointment.

I wonder how many of our disappointments could be averted if we kept this in mind. I've often been reminded of my own "unrealistic expectations" of another, and have struggled to remember the person's usual conduct, and not to expect differently. This fact is not depressing; it is part of what it means to accept reality for what it is.

I think part of our unrealistic expectations come because we don't like living in an imperfect world. In a perfect world, yes, all would be thoughtful, sensitive, generous and kind. In a perfect world, no one would insult, slander, or offend. In a perfect world, I would not have to deal with my selfishness, my ego, my needs. But in reality, all these things that I struggle with affect me, affect other, cloud my vision and affect my altruism. I struggle even when I think I'm being my best. So do others.

As this year ends, and a new one begins shortly, I dedicate myself to healthy living, to dreaming big, and to accepting the reality of life. I accept my family and friends for who they are, not who I want them to be. I lay down my own vision of what others should be, and replace it with a vision of what I want to accomplish. I determine that what I am says best how I believe.

This is my New Year's resolution. I could do worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...