Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Dreaming Big

A friend of mine told me once a story about her childhood. She asked her Grandma if she could go to the movies, and Granny said yes, if you clean the house first. So she quickly cleaned, and then  presented herself to her Granny and said, "The house is clean. Can I have the movie fare please?" "You didn't ask for fare. You only asked to go. Next time, ask for what  you really want." She didn't get the fare, and so she couldn't go.

Even though this story seems a bit cruel, it does remind me of the necessity to know our need. Jesus himself said God knows our need even before we ask him. So why must we tell him? To make it clear to ourselves.

I've often wondered if my heaven is what I expect it to be, no more, no less. Jesus said, in my Father's house there are many mansions. What if those mansions are designed according to our heart's desire? What if, because we expected little, we get just that? What if our heaven is less because we desired less? Jesus clearly states that heaven is not the same for all. What makes the difference if not our desires?

I was told once, "Dream big, because no matter how big your dream, MHC has even bigger dreams for you." I listened, and believed, and wonderful things happened to me while I was at MHC simple because I applied to every award and Fellowship and program, and got them all. It wasn't me; it my  belief that it could happen.

We must think in terms bigger than  ourselves. We must always be increasing our desires. We must believe because we know God is good, and wants our good. We must know that no matter how big our dreams, God has even bigger dreams for us.

2 comments:

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...