Monday, December 1, 2014

Advent: A Time to be Renewed




I need an incentive to be renewed. The beginning of Advent is a good one for me.

In the monastery, Advent was a time of preparation, meaning that we fasted, sacrificed, and did not play Christmas music during the weeks before Christmas. I admit, this was very hard for me my first couple of years. I did not "feel" the Christmas spirit with so much penance those weeks before.

The real change came with Christmas Day. Where others met Christmas with almost a relief that the season was now "over" we met it with the joy that the season had just begun. Once I became accustomed to this change, I found it altered my whole outlook of Advent.

Even to this day, I like to use the time before Christmas as a time of real "preparation." I decide upon a sacrifice I want to make, and make resolutions for better living. I will avoid the music and festivities already in place, and seek silence and time for reflection. These help me approach Christmas with a more spiritual outlook that has nothing to do with gifts and glitter. It also renews my spiritual endeavors, and reminds me of the values I say I hold dear. I spend more time meditating, which always renews me. As I am renewed, I am grounded as the year draws to a close.

I hope you too can find some aspect of "preparation" this year. You do not need to follow mine, but find a way that really "prepares" you spiritually for the feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freezing Beautiful Times

Life would be so much easier if we could freeze the beautiful times, the times when joy overflowed and we were in tune with life around and ...